Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Part 2.

Painting was the last activity for the day. When Anushka saw the paint and brushes, she got very excited and pulled me towards the table. The children sat down; some put on an art apron, others not so interested in it. The teacher then announced, “Here are two colors, red and green, but please do not mix the colors as they will get smudge”. I looked at that damn teacher and thought she must be kidding. Maybe my head was spinning too much from the day’s activity and I might have heard her wrong. Why will a teacher say that? I brushed off my silly thoughts and was reaching out to hand Anushka both the paint when the teacher said it again. This time I was wide awake, no thoughts or no spinning head. “Please do not mix the colors as they will get smudge”, said the teacher. That stupid woman really said that. I was dumb-founded. Can any “trained” teacher say that? Can they? Do they?

At this point of time, I really wanted to take my child and run out of the door. But Anushka was comfortably sitting on the tiny chair all ready for the paint and brush, that I did not have the heart to leave just like that. The teacher started handing out cut-outs of fish, (why was I not surprised), and gave one to Anushka too. Anushka so politely said, “thank you”. I looked at her and praised her for using such polite words. Even the teacher was surprised.

Everyone got busy. When I say everyone, I mean the parents; they got busy painting for their child. One mom just took the brush from the child and started painting one side of the fish; green and the other side; red. Wow, very pretty, I thought. Some other moms were “teaching” their child to paint. The dad was literally begging his child to finish painting the fish. Everyone’s art work looked very beautiful; the fish looked very neat and pretty. Anushka was painting her piece of fish cut out, and since I did not help her at all, she had blotches here and there. After painting for a while, she decided to just do “dots, dots” with her brush. The teacher then took the brush from her and said, “Anushka, look paint it like this”. She started painting the white blotches. I got enraged and said, “Let her do it by herself”. The teacher was taken aback and quickly returned the brush. I felt good about standing up for my daughter.

It was time to clean up, and I quickly left for the washroom. I had enough. My head was THROBBING!

I went back to the office and P; the co-coordinator asked me how it went. At first I said, it was okay, but felt that I had to voice out my opinions. This was the conversation.

Me: Why do I feel like the children were forced into doing the activities?

P: What makes you say that? Can you give an example?

Me: I talked about the ball incident.

P: Maybe this is your first time here and you feel like what you are feeling, whereas these children are here for a long time now, and it has become a routine for them.

(She did not understand my point. Just then the owner walked in; a middle-aged Punjabi looking women).

P: Madam, she has something to tell you about the program. She feels that the children are being forced.

Mad: Yes, tell me.

Me: I feel like the children are not allowed any freedom. All the time they are being told what to do, where to go and how to do it. I talked about the ball incident and asked her how it is possible to have five balls for twelve toddlers.

Mad: Well, maybe the teacher had something in mind, and that is why she had five balls out. Maybe your child saw a ball for the first time and got berserk, others did not.

Me: You don’t get my point, do you? Mad: No, tell me.Me: It’s not about my child going berserk over a ball, yes she did and so did the rest. Of course a child will go crazy over a ball; they just love that thing and want a piece of it. What I am trying to say is, they are too many instructions for the little ones, and they were just not given the freedom to do anything.

Mad: I think since this is your first time, you felt a little overwhelmed with all these instructions and routines. These children are here for a few months now and they are used to it. And instructions are good for them; they need it as it helps them to know what is right or wrong.

(Gosh, another dumb cow. Who was I talking to? Either she was acting stupid or she just could not get my point. FREEDOM!!)

Me: I think maybe I am not making sense here. They do need instructions; but do they need instructions for every little thing; play like this, kick that way, paint it this way. Are there right or wrong way to paint? Then I went on about telling her the paint incident.

Mad: (She turned to the other coordinator and asked her which teacher was in that classroom). Yes, so you did not like the painting.

Me: Well, the teacher told us not to mix the colors, and I found that ridiculous. A new color could be created by mixing two colors. And she also took the brush from my child’s hand and started painting for her. Why did she do that? Again, doesn’t this show the kind of “freedom” you give to your children here”.

Mad: R, could you please tell so and so not to paint for the children. We have to talk to the teachers about it. Can you please talk to her? (R, murmurs a yes).

Me: The other parents can’t see it, maybe because they are just parents. But I am a teacher and I see it from another perspective.

Mad: Maybe. (And she just walked away)

I was about to leave this outrageous place when P asked me how long have I been a teacher and where have I taught. She came out and gave me some numbers to call and told me that they need teachers at Kangaroo kids. She said I could fit in very well. She asked me if I was interested in working. I replied, “I had a very overwhelming day today. I cannot think. I just need to take that rickshaw and go back home with my daughter. I will call you once I have overcome this day. She looked at me and smiled and said not to worry too much about it and that Kangaroo Kids are much better as the teachers there are more experienced and they know what they are doing. Well, now she tells me that! And I thought your teachers were trained “twice” before entering your school!

I kicked myself for taking Anushka to such a place, in fact I felt awful as I told her that she was going to a fun place where there will be books to read, toys to play and other fun things to do. This was really a horrible experience for my daughter and me. It was hard to believe the way these toddlers were treated. The whole concept of mother-toddler program is so different here. It was too just painful to see from a teacher’s point of view. My child will definitely thrive much better at home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deh, I dont think you would find what you are looking for in India, maybe Pune to precise. I am not so sure about other ciities.

So you have two choices, you either have to suck up and let her go to the one of this "mom-toddler"
programme or keep her home till you balik kampong.

BTW, I'm proud of you for standing up for your child. Knowing how much you hate confrontation and how you would let people literally walk over you, I'm glad you told that punjabi lady off.Big hugs

Anonymous said...

Yea I do not think u will find what u r looking for in India.. The whole concept is wrong…Open your own school and show people what really are mother-toddler programs.. It will be super hit yaar and will break all box office records

Sighs, poor girl.. She doesn’t even have a proper school to attend.. However, I think Nukshi will be better off with you at home... You do such creative and mind blowing things with her. Though she will be deprived of socializing, at least her other skills will be cultivated well.. You can never have the best of both worlds right and during recession some more.Is tough.

On the bright side, at least Nukshi found such a good "sister" in the park.. Can u take pictures of the two girls holding hand and walking? I wanna seeeeeeeeeeee….I am sure it will look adorable

And I am also so shocked that u say that to the teacher…But well, when it comes to their kids, mothers will never step back.Right?

PS: Can you give us a Dostana review please?

Isha

Anonymous said...

That really was ridiculous! Not to mix paint, paint this way and not that way?is there a right way actually to paint??

Instructions are good but forcing your opinion and oppressing the child's creativity, even not allowing to discover what happens when 2 colours are mixed?!

They ciildnt be bothered with your comments or maybe they just didnt understand! Dumb punjabi lady...This school is doing everything to protect their equipment but nothing to teach the kids! Are the other parents blind!? Camt they see tat their child is being treated like a robot?

And How can they snatch the brush n start painting? Probably deprived childhood..They shld leave their kids and attend this sch themselves probably they will learn something!

U should seriously consider having ur own sch. Do try out the kangaroo kids maybe they are different (fingers crossed) I do hope tat nushki won't have to attend such a horrible school...

Priyanka said...

Hey, I didn't know they have 'Kangaroo Kids'(KK) in Pune, if they do then that is the BEST school out there and not the one that we saw. KK is very much like schools in US from what I've heard. Why don't you take Nushki to KK?
India is a developing country and the concept of "Freedom"/developing creativity etc for kids is new and practised only in a few schools. We just need to look at those schools. Everything is available in India, you just need to look. :) And ofcourse, as I've already said, you have got the skills, you need to start teaching out there.
BTW, it must have been so frustrating for you to talk to those dumb teachers. But its good that you stood your ground. Way to go Sonia !!

Rahul said...

Asaaan- Yeah, so far the programmes I have seen, its no where close to what I am looking for..sigh.. Yeah even I was so happy with myself for saying something to someone for the first time. Felt very proud!

Isha- Review of dostana, very funny, hahaha! Yeah, as per socializing she has some friends. But I joined this mom tod program that is near my place, for an hour. Its better in the sense that there arent many activities, so there isnt any force done on the child. its only for a month, and I am merely doing it so that she can get some friends.

Chaand- YEah, imagine no mixing of colors. Really, have you heard of such thing?? Well as per the owner, like what Rahul said, to them is all about money making. Its just a business to them. Nothing more than that. I did go to KK and its not that horrible but still bad. Oh well, she is better at home. Let's see. All i need is just a few friends for her.


Priyanka- I did go to KK, cos everyone was saying that its the best school in India, and is Australian based. The first school, First five which I went too, is the same management as KK. I felt KK was just as bad, the teachers were still pushy and forcing the child to do things in their own way. Sigh, I could write another post about a horrible day at KK, but oh well.
Also, regarding the concept of freedom and developing creativity in children is new in India, I do agree with that, but something so simple like not mixing colors, I wonder if one actually needs creativity for that. When one is coloring, something so naturally comes to you, like mixing colors. Maybe she did not want her brushes to get dirty.

Anonymous said...

deh read MM's post when you get time
It basically agrees with you. And that is one of the best preschools in Delhi,
http://thebratthebeanandbedlam.wordpress.com/2007/05/21/indian-education-and-the-art-of-pre-conditioned-thinking/

Rahul said...

I have heard about Euro Kids. Sighzz.. What a stupid ad?? Does not make sense, to think they are actually proud of it. What brains! Gosh, I have to do something now.. :)